Wednesday, July 21, 2010

South Dakota- Day 13










This morning we slept in, we were up until midnight doing laundry and setting up camp. We took a morning walk around the campground to get our bearings. This place is huge! It is a lot like a hotel but with camp sites instead of the hotel. It had the registration desk, arcade, gift shop, huge pool, and very nice playground. The kids are just loving it… there are families everywhere and so much to do here. But first things first… Mt. Rushmore. After lunch we headed there, only 10 minutes from camp. It is so neat when you see it for the first time; it is farther away than you think it is. We parked and made our way up to the main terrace and walked around. It was much more commercial than I imagined, everyone was walking around eating ice cream and it was packed! We headed to the visitors center and watched a movie on the history of Mt. Rushmore which was very interesting. I thought it was fascinating that 90% of it was carved using dynamite! We did a trail that lead near the mountain and then it was done! It does not take long to see it but it is awe inspiring. Bortrum, the sculptor, had such a vision and a dream to make these sculptors grand, as grand as America is and the presidents he chose to sculpt. We plan on going another night for the lighting ceremony… can't wait for that.




After we got back the kids wanted to hit the pool. So we did. Wow, it was packed… you could tell I am from Arizona because I am on the lounge chair with my jacket and towel around my legs drinking hot cocoa while all of the other parents were in their swim suits… it was cold, only mid 70's and cloudy. But the pool was heated so the kids had a blast. Then it was time for dinner, showers and wind down time. While making dinner I had a minor breakdown… I hit my head twice on an upper cabinet in the RV trying to get the plastic silverware out of the storage area. I was just done after that and had a good cry on the floor while totally freaking out my family. I don't know what it was… frustration of a tight space, tired, I just finished a book which always makes me emotional, I don't know. It really did hurt though so maybe it was just that. But ever since then the kids have been extra nice and protective of me… they said they had never seen me cry (really?) so they were sweet about it and ultra-concerned. But I am fine; a good cry always makes you feel better, right? I think it will be early bed tonight to gear up for a busy day tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. You guys are sure having fun...I have that same pic of the boys and Justin with the mountain in back. We have nothing happening during the time you are here in CO so I really hope we can see each other. Did u happen to hear about Tempe Town Lake? It's empty...the dam broke. Interesting. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will call you when we get to Colorado, we will be there next Wednesday. We just read about the Tempe Town lake, crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my baby!!! I'm glad you got a good reaction from your family from your cry. You've still been working hard on the road even though you're having a great time. You cry, I cry!!!! I love you and enjoy the lighting ceremony.

    ReplyDelete