Sunday, July 17, 2011

Yosemite Day 4- July 15th




















Today was filled with both the mundane and the spectacular. We started off the day with a drive to Glacier Point (Leah got carsick…AGAIN!) which gives you incredible views down into the valley and sweeping panoramic views of all of the major granite cliffs and mountains. And this was the spectacular! The views were just amazing and all of us were in awe of God's creation! It was neat because we were able to look 3000 feet down into the valley and point out to the kids where we would be hiking and riding our bikes on Saturday. Tim and I planned out our entire time at the valley for Saturday just by looking down off this cliff! You can walk around a lot and see all different views and just marvel at the waterfalls cascading down from thousands of feet. After that stop we went back down the road a few miles and did a hike to Sentinel Dome. This is 8122 feet high but only over 1 mile hike up from the trailhead. The last jaunt was a very steep hike to the top of the dome. The kids loved it and my the views were incredible! We had our picnic lunch on top of the dome and watched an artist painting a picture of Half Dome. Then it was time to go down. About ¼ of the way down an older lady stopped us to ask if we had seen 3 boys going by and apparently I did not have my footing… we were on a descent with lots of larger rocks and just out of nowhere I took a step and my feet just slid. All I remember is the lady saying "Sorry, sorry, bless you, bless you!". I nearly took Tim out as I slid right into him on my fall. I got up and had 2 huge knots on my right shin and some scrapes and a bruised palm. It provided quite a laugh for the family… I am always the laughing stock with my clumsiness and we laughed the entire way down the mountain. The mundane came in the afternoon when we had to do some housekeeping… Tim had to hook up the trailer to go dump and then we headed into the residential area of Wawona to do our laundry. After that it was a stop at the visitor's center for the kids to get their Jr. Ranger badges. Oh, kind of funny, but Leah accidently told the ranger her name was Lily (our dogs name) and he called her Lily the entire time including when he announced to the whole building that they were Jr. Rangers. We told Leah that we will have to let Lily wear that badge on her collar. Then it was back to camp for more river time (Noah also got clumsy and fell into the river with his clothes on when he tried to kick water onto Megan) and then, you guessed it...dinner, UNO and ranger program.







No comments:

Post a Comment