Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sequoia National Park- Day 1- July 8th 2011


Well that was the longest drive ever! It took us over 13 hours to get here when we only expected 10 hours. There were a few traffic delays through LA and other areas including a little fire in the brush in the median of the freeway. We also had to go off the map and GPS the last 2 hours because we had to take an alternate route because the normal and closer road is too curvy and narrow for trailers. So that added way more time and made the trip much more anxiety provoking. I am the navigator and Tim the driver and it is so scary to take us off the GPS when you "think" this is the right way. I had just about lost it at one point thinking we were definitely going the wrong way when all of a sudden the sign came up for the last freeway we needed to take. I breathed a sigh of relief and not 1 minute later, we were finally gaining elevation and the forest appeared before our eyes. At this time of anxiety I reached over to turn down the radio (noise makes me more anxious in high stress times) and I actually turned the radio tuner which changed the channel to KLOVE and my favorite band Casting Crowns was singing their song "Glorious Day"! It was so amazing! All within a minute the sign appeared, the song came on and the scenery totally changed. I was praising God over that one! I don't think Tim and I have ever sung that song so loud! The next song after that was "Take Me to the Beautiful" by Third Day which was great to listen to as we drove among these huge trees, lush forest and gorgeous scenery. We finally made it to the park! We gave them our entrance card and got the maps… Tim asked the ranger how much longer to drive to our campsite and he said one hour and I literally gasped! We had already done 12 and that was enough! Well, we made it to our campsite and then the worries began or I guess continued. The site seemed so tight for us. And of course it is dinner time, well past… it is 8:30 and everyone is sitting around their campsites watching us, shaking their heads. I gave Tim the rah, rah, we've done this before, even worse, you can do it speech but it was not working. I think he drove around the campsite 4 times to change his angle or the way he was coming in. He was about to give up (I guess we sleep in the parking lot of the visitors center?) when he gave it one last try and he did it! The neighbors around us were cheering and we were all happy to just be in our little spot! Then we unloaded, had a quick dinner, and off to bed. Tomorrow will be for exploring our campground and hiking…NO driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment